Sunday, July 29, 2007

DAY THREE/DAY FOUR: Days go by ...

For whatever reason, Day Three was a hell of a lot better than the second day. The cravings were not nearly as bad, although I'm finding that I'm not really having cravings all that much, just the withdrawal. Even though there are times when the withdrawal is intense, I still don't have any desire to run to the store, money clutched tightly in hand, ready to hand it over the clerk behind the counter to give me sweet relief from the withdrawal symptoms. I am very thankful for that.

As I'm now rolling into the fourth day (didn't post last night because I actually fell asleep when I got home and didn't get a chance to write), I'm starting to think to myself, "You know, I've made it one day. If I can make it one day, I can make it two days. If I can make it two days, I can make it four ..." Even still, I'm taking it one day at a time, knowing that if I can make it through the first week, that's a fairly big accomplishment.

My main worry, however, is weight gain. I did quit smoking a couple of years ago and lasted for about four months. It was then that I put on quite a few pounds, leading me to be the hunk of a man writing this blog today. I'm happy with myself because I've lost more than 20 pounds since February and I'm still working on losing the weight. I just worry that I'll start to add that weight back on now that I'm not smoking.

My focus is to remain positive. I'm drinking a lot of water, as I've mentioned before, and I'm looking at grilled foods (mostly grilled chicken) and going from there. Luckily for me, there are no calories in toothpicks because I am going through toothpicks now at work, battling through that oral fixation. I'm looking at getting some of those good flavored toothpicks that last awhile. Just got to find some good ones.

I'd like to thank the warm comments and support I've received so far since starting on this from you folks out there. That has been a tremendous help. You guys (and gals) rock!

1 comment:

maggie said...

Glad to hear you're having an easier day. I was worried about the weight gain, too, since I did gain on previous attempts. This time, so far, no gain. The only big difference is that I'm walking with the work ladies every day for 20 mins/1 mile. I think that is helping. I'm trying to be a little more careful what and how much I'm eating, but I'm definitely not trying to actually diet while doing this - more just paying better attention and trying to make at least some "healthier choices" in between my typical not healthy ones.

Anyway, you are doing awesome. Keep going!

And you are a Cubs fan. How cool is that?